In the interview there is reference made to a film festival that had just taken place in Montreal. Here is a link to more information about that: Voodoo: Montreal Haitian Film Festival (2008). There is also reference to an art exhibit, and here is a link to that: Voodoo: Art, Mystery or Religion?
The reason I'm posting this video is because of the very frank explanation of why Christian elements have been incorporated, at least superficially, in Haitian Vodou, given by Labelle Deesse, Jr.
[0:20] Announcer: "Some consider Vodou to be an actual religion, but others call it witchcraft. Debra Arbec investigates."
Debra Arbec: "To the uninitiated, images like these represent darkness, witchcraft, blasphemy. But for those who practice Haitian Vodou that's the hollywood version .... [2:10] As a French colony, Catholicism was forced onto African slaves in Haiti."
Mambo Labelle Deesse, Jr.: "We had no choice to combine the Catholics with our own culture, so we don't get killed."
Related posts from this blog:
- Christian Demographics Fun Facts (Nov 2, 2009)
- Because We Can: Syncretism from a Pagan perspective (May 25, 2010)
- "When you enter a village, swear by its Gods." (Because We Can, pt. 2) (May 26, 2010)
- Lady GaGa Prayer Candles (Because We Can, pt. 3) (May 27, 2010)
- Angelique Kidjo on Voodoo and Catholicism (May 29, 2010)
- More Prayer Candles, Please! (Jun 2, 2010)
- "On the permanent validity of the Church's missionary mandate" (What they mean by "dialogue", pt. 1) (Jul 27, 2010)
- Banding together in the Cretan fashion (Aug 20, 2010)
- "Playing the Fish" (What they mean by "dialogue", pt. 2) (Dec 27, 2010)
- The true story of how the Yaqui people were conquered and converted to Christianity (Jan 19, 2011)
- Did the Yaquis Convert to Christianity? (Jan 21, 2011)
- "We had no choice." Strategic syncretism in the face of Christianization.
- On the Non-Ineluctability of Christianization: Notes Toward a Grand Unified Theory of Pagan Resistance, Survival, and Revival (Mar 29, 2011)
- "You are ignorant of the very thing you worship" (What they mean by "dialogue", pt. 3) (Jun 30, 2011)
- Confessions of a Christian Missionary: "The old religion used to hold their life together. Now there is a void." (Nov. 28, 2011)
- An Orthodox theologian explains what he means by "Inclusivism" and "Tolerance" (Jan. 28, 2012)
- What they mean by "religious diplomacy" (May 4, 2012)