I have a non-dire prediction: hate crimes against Muslims will continue to be a negligible fraction of all hate crimes. Meanwhile, hate crimes against Jews, gay people and African Americans will continue to far outnumber those against Muslims.
Here is a direct link to the relevant page at the FBI website:
FBI -- Hate Crime Statistics
In the meantime, check out my overview of last year's FBI report on hate-crimes, along with a few other relevant posts:
- No rise in hate-crimes against Muslims in 2009
- "We plead for the universality of freedom of expression."
- Islamophobophobia Meets Reality: Shining some statistical light on the dark fantasy of Islamophobia
- "most Americans do not buy the 19 fanatics story"
- The right to oppose Islam
France: Prophet Mohammed to 'guest edit' satirical weekly. That's where I got the image at the top of this post.
Finally, let me just point out that the only way to meaningfully contextualize the number of hate crimes committed against Muslims in the US is to compare these tiny, almost statistically insignificant numbers, with the scale of fratricidal bloodshed that Muslims visit upon each other in all of the societies in which they make up the majority. Muslims are far safer, far freer, and far more prosperous in the United States of America than they are anywhere else in the world.