Monday, May 10, 2010

"strike up the band and make the fireflies dance"

Kiss me
out on the bearded barley

Nightly,
beside the green, green grass

Swing, swing,
swing the spinning step

You wear those shoes and I will wear that dress.

[Chorus:]
Oh, kiss me beneath the milky twilight
Lead me out on the moonlit floor
Lift your open hand
Strike up the band and make the fireflies dance
Silver moon's sparkling
So kiss me

Kiss me down by the broken tree house
Swing me upon its hanging tire
Bring, bring,
bring your flowered hat

We'll take the trail marked on your father's map

JenerallyxSpeaking:



angelax33:



insaneelaine (the flute is approximately 4x too loud toward the end, though):



bethxx5 (Bethany Mann and Tom Rowland):



earBLind69 (Kristen Mariano):



studiocupino:



Bluesky00p:




I am deighted and amazed by people with talent. Especially musical talent. And I have always (well, not always, but at least for the last decade or so ...) appreciated the simple, pretty, lighter than air quality of the 1999 popular hit "Kiss Me," by the Christian-crossover band Sixpence None the Richer. (The song reached #1 in Australia, #2 in the US and #4 in the UK.)

Of course when I randomly discovered two really well done ukulele covers of the song on youtube, I had to find more! The only trouble was, I could not find any more (key words: "really", "well", "done"). So I settled (in the end quite happily) for a number of other acoustic covers. It really is amazing how much talent there is in the world. Although it's a little less amazing if you look at all the other covers of "Kiss Me" on youtube. Trust me.

Today as I came back from my morning walk I saw a bug crawling on my front porch. It was a lightning bug!!

Oh, and I know it's supposedly "out of the bearded barley," but I like "on" better.

And the picture at the top of the post is by jerry8448 at deviantart.com

2 comments:

Kullervo said...

I like that song too, but my wife hateth it.

Apuleius Platonicus said...

Hi Kullevero! Hey - if you ever find a metal, or even just a hard rock, cover of "Kiss Me" that doesn't suck, please let me know! I think it could be awesome.

I also like the fact that it's supposed to be a "Christian" song, but in actuality most of the lyrics sound downright Pagan. Although there is that (very) odd bit at the end about "the trail marked on your father's map", which has a somewhat Christian-esque sound to it, kind of. But I don't really think a "Christian" interpretation of "the trail marked on your father's map" could possibly have anything to do with teenagers trysting by moonlight on a warm summer night.